Online by Design: Creating Accessible and Engaging Online Learning
- Explain basic theory (why, what, how) of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) as pertains to online course design.
- Compare and contrast accessibility, UDL, and accommodations as they pertain to course design and delivery.
- Enhance the theory and practice of backward design with UDL
- Design with learner variability in mind
- Contrast expert learners from expert students
- Use UDL principles and practices to design and develop highly effective online learning experiences including both asynchronous (e.g., Canvas) and synchronous (e.g., Zoom) aspects.
- Design and deliver courses and lessons through the intentional provision of multiple or flexible means of engagement.
- Design and deliver courses and lessons through the intentional provision of multiple or flexible means of representation.
- Design and deliver courses and lessons through the intentional provision of multiple or flexible means of learner action & expression.
- Apply concepts of UDL design and delivery in synchronous, virtual learning experiences.
This course will be run in 2 cohorts - one in the Summer of 2022, and one in the Fall of 2022.
Who is the Course Instructor?
Eric J. Moore, PhD is a UDL specialist, consultant, and evaluator via Innospire.org. He currently serves as the Director of Learning Technology at the Kennedy Krieger Institute. He has also served as the UDL and accessibility specialist for the University of Tennessee, Knoxville where he supported the implementation and scaling of UDL on campus. Eric co-leads a UDL in Higher Ed Network, which is open for anyone interested in UDL in higher education to join. Eric holds BA, M.Ed., and PhD degrees in education, and has over a decade of experience in the classroom including middle school, high school, and higher education and subjects including literature, philosophy, and teacher education.
Who is Eligible to Participate?
- Special Education Teachers
- General Education Teachers
- Early Childhood Teachers / Early Interventionists
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Occupational Therapists / Occupational Therapist Assistants
- Physical Therapists / Physical Therapist Assistants
- Assistive Technology Specialists
- Special Education Directors
- Coaches / Facilitators
- Technology Coordinators
- Others who work with children/students receiving special education services.
What will the Participants Be Expected to Do?
- Complete all course activities and requirements within the course period (e.g., Summer 2022, or Fall 2022).
- Meet with a member of the ATP Program Team and other participants via Zoom at least 3 times over the duration of the course.
- Make an action plan of next steps based on what is learned from the course.
What Benefits and Resources will the Participants Receive?
- Each participant will receive a scholarship (valued at 150.00) to enroll and complete the course.
- Participants will have opportunities to network with other participants to discuss and apply their learning.
- Recognition as a completer of the 2021-2022 Online by Design Course through digital badging, letters to administrators, press releases, social media, and certificates.
- Optional graduate credit (responsibility of the participant) through Gordon College or the Teachers College of San Joaquin. Information on Graduate Credit is in the first module of the course.
When will the Online by Design Course Activities Occur?
There are three cohorts that will be offered for the Online by Design. Information for each cohort is noted below:
Summer 2022 - Register by 5/20/2022
- Course Start Date: 5/23/2022
- Meeting Dates/Times
- 6/2/2022 at 4:15 CT/ 3:15 MT
- 7/12/2022 at 4:15 CT/ 3:15 MT
- 8/2/2022 at 4:15 CT/ 3:15 MT
- Course End Date: 8/12/2022
Fall 2022 - Register by 9/2/2022
- Course Start Date: 9/5/2022
- Meeting Dates/Times
- 9/22/2022 at 4:15 CT/ 3:15 MT
- 10/20/2022 at 4:15 CT/ 3:15 MT
- 11/17/2022 at 4:15 CT/ 3:15 MT
- Course End Date: 12/16/2022
How do I Register?
Registration for the Online by Design Course is on a first-come, first-serve basis. There are limited enrollments in each of the cohorts (i.e., Summer 2022, or Fall 2022).
ATP Education Academy
ATP Education Resources